Thursday, March 10, 2005

Why I use Linkedin: Reason #1

The question of "Why I Use Linkedin" came up on a discussion group earlier today. Below is the answer I posted with just a slight modification specific to My Linkedin Power Forum. ______________________________________________________________________________________________

I think of Linkedin as being FAR from a large network just sitting there and I'd like to give one prime example from just this morning:One of my current clients sits on a Board of Directors for an organization that recently hired me.

He's known me longer than most people I currently network with and certainly longer than anyone else on the Board that hired me. Indeed, I was the corporate recruiter who interviewed him for employment at his current company almost 10 years ago.

Another former colleague sent me a request through Linkedin just this morning - about 7 hours ago - seeking to meet him for a prospective directorship opportunity.

Irony of ironies, the person who sent the request was someone whom I had worked with in my very first corporate recruiting job at AETNALife and Casualty almost 20 years ago!

BUT, in addition to the possibility of bringing the two of them together and helping a Board member of one of my current clients to perhaps get a new job opportunity (his current company is considering downsizing), and helping one of my first corporate recruiting colleagues some 20 years into our recruiting future, were it not for Linkedin, I would not have recognized her because her name had changed after she got married in the ensuing years since we first worked together.

Having seen things like this happen over and over and over again in my work as a recruiter in the real world is one reason why I choose to use Linkedin as I do in the virtual world.

I'd love to hear similar stories from you.

Thanks!

Vincent Wright
Moderator,My Linkedin Power Forum

No comments: